LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK, Feb. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — Google has announced the end of its forced arbitration policy for employers, which will go into effect for current and future employees on March 21, 2019.
Under the new policy, Google will not reopen settled claims but its current employees can litigate past claims beginning March 21st.
For contractors Google works with directly, it will remove mandatory arbitration from their contracts. While this will not apply to outside firms that employ contractors, Google says it will notify suppliers to see if they can use the same approach.
The news comes as a direct response to a group of outspoken Google employees who protested the company’s arbitration practices last month. Approximately one month earlier, the same group of 35 employees came together to demand Google end forced arbitration as it relates to any case of discrimination.
In November, a 20,000-person walkout at Google prompted the company to get rid of forced arbitration for sexual harassment and sexual assault claims. Google said that since getting rid of forced arbitration for cases related to sexual harassment and assault, they decided to apply the policy to all forms of discrimination.
Carney Shegerian, the founder of Los Angeles-based employee rights law firm Shegerian & Associates, has weighed in on Google’s new forced arbitration policy.
“Google’s new forced arbitration policy is a win for all of their employees,” says Shegerian. “While the removal of forced arbitration for sexual harassment and assault cases was a step in the right direction, the same policies should be applied to all forms of discrimination.”
*Original link provided for archival purposes. Website or page may no longer exist.